Monday, November 22, 2010

From Mary Oliver's poem "Sunrise"

From Mary Oliver's poem "Sunrise":

...and I thought
how the sun

blazes
for everyone just
so joyfully
as it rises

under the lashes
of my own eyes, and I thought
I am so many!
What is my name?...

I got the image of a universe of stars in the shape of a human body. It is covered with skin, and clothes, and looks ordinary. But the eyes open to reveal two suns, surrounded by space. You dive into one of those eyes, and you are plunged into absolute darkness, except for the distant stars. You see nothing nearby - not even your own body. You are falling, uncontrollably, into this abyss. But there is nothing to fall toward. And no "thing" that is falling.

After an interminable time, you reach the center, but you are still falling. The center is unbearable light, roiling and misting. You cannot look at it, but there is nothing to block it. It is not light, but it is there and it is real.

Please, please let me go back to where I am deluded and hypnotized. God, You are too much. OK, I believe in You. Just let me go back to my body. Let me believe what my father believes, and never thinks to question.

The poem brought me the first image, of the eyes that open backwards into a  universe. But the starkness of it reminded me of unbearable light.

No comments:

Post a Comment